Women and Creativity at The National Hispanic Cultural Center
by Dana Herrera, Albuquerque Motherhood Examiner February 26
Moms, it's time to take a moment for you. The National Hispanic Cultural Center has teamed up with organizations throughout New Mexico to bring us Women and Creativity, a series of art exhibits, presentations, music and free classes to explore the power of female creativity.
All through the month of March, us creative gals can take a break from the everyday mundane and put our thinking caps on to explore topics close to our hearts - ourselves!
Events take place in various places throughout the state, making the event more accessible. There is no excuse not to let a close relative or your partner have some one-on-one kid time while you spend an hour or two working on yourself.
Women and Creativity
According to event sponsors Mark Pardo salons, "Women and Creativity 2009 is organized and presented by the National Hispanic Cultural Center in partnership with more than 35 art organizations, artists, writers and independently owned businesses." They go on to write, "We believe that creativity, art and self-expression are central to sustaining healthy individuals, families, organizations and communities."
I wholeheartedly agree!
Events for the creative mom
While geared towards women, these events are open to all. Here are some events for us mom-types:
Weaving Ourselves Whole: A Gathering of Women of Color. Saturday, March 7, 2009 9 a.m.-4 p.m, Salon Ortega at the National Hispanic Cultural Center (Avenida Cesar Chavez & 4th St.). 10-12 p.m. there are two motherhood related talks/discussions sessions.
* Revolutionary Motherhood: Discussion and Workshop
* Natural Mothering: Japanese food ways and child rearing - presentation and cooking demonstration
Take a break and find some lunch and come back for the afternoon sessions including, but not limited to:
* Healing through memory: Writing
Also, check out the Girls Day Out! Shopping Reception at La Tiendita at the National Hispanic Cultural Center on March 21 from 4 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
Note: There will be a special Kids Activity room available from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. this day!
The event is free, but you have to pre-registration is encouraged. E-mail Gina Diaz for more details and to pre-register.
Kid friendly events
* Science exploration: For a daytime outing, bring your kids to the Explora for different presentations on topics such as magnets, electricity and spinners and rollers. These Explora events take place from 2 p.m.-3 p.m. on March 1, 8 and 22.
* Peek-a-boo! Puppet Show: March 7 at the National Hispanic Cultural Center at 2 p.m.
* Beginning African Dance: The Maple Street Dance Space will give us a chance to learn African dance. Join in the fun on March 4, 6, 13 and 25 from 5 p.m.-7 p.m.
Learn and experience something new
Creativity and Women is designed to explore a number of topics from women and art, to women and color and women and motherhood. Most of these events are free with the added bonus of meeting other women and moms in your area.
Note: Visit Creativity and Women for a complete schedule of events and any pre-registration requirements.
Post a Comment